Sunday, January 7, 2007

Submitted story: Death in the Family

I am a minister, and last week I presided over a funeral for a man, Tim, who was a Harley fanatic. He had terminal lung cancer, but still managed a trip to the Sturgis (South Dakota) bike rally in August.

Tim's family kept mentioning to me how he loved to ride his Harley as we prepared his eulogy. He was the lead motorcycle on many trips, especially charitable rides. I was expecting several photos of him on his Harley at the funeral. Much to my surprise, when I drove up during calling hours, the funeral home parking lot was completely full of Harleys.

There were more men and women wearing chaps and Harley paraphernalia than biological family at the funeral. The funeral was short, you could just sense that most in attendance were not church-going folk. We saved the best for last, starting a mile long chain of motorcycles followed by the hearse and family pulling the rear. Riding to his interment, the sound of so many Harleys revving their engines was deafening. But what a perfect salute to such a Harley lover, despite the fact that it was January in upstate New York.

The processional of motorcyclists must have been freezing, but wanted to pay tribute to a man that they loved. I was impressed by the comradery of his second family, the motorcycle family. I do not have a motorcycle, but I hope that someday I will have that same sort of second family. Tim's motorcycle family loved him unconditionally, put up with him just as he was. If only we all could be so lucky.

No comments: