Thursday, January 4, 2007

Submitted story: The Zen of Harley

Another story submitted via a reader:


I am not even a biker, so you may wonder why I am writing on an Harley Davidson blog. Well, the magic of Harley Davidson is also clear in this fact: Harley-Davidson IS a myth for each and every one, also for non-bikers.

My reflected Harley Davidson experience is through music (and through films of course, but I am particularly found in psychedelic rock music). When I listen to the The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Iron Butterfly, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix just to cite a few among the heroes of the West Coast psychedelia, I have a glimpse of what may have been living in California in the roaring Sixties or Seventies.

When I listen to an Hammond organ solo, I dream about driving a Bike (i.e. an Harley Davidson bike of course, what else?). Well, the other things which an Hammond solo inspires are sun, life, lust, fun, beaches, girls, beer... an American dolce-vita, I am sure that the official mass transport in the gardens of heaven - or better I A Gadda Da Vida as Iron Butterfly say in their famous song - is an Harley Davidson bike.

When I listen to the Pink Floyd I imagine that I am travelling, maybe flying, on an old double-decker London bus - maybe a full-coloured and flowered one, when I listen to the American counterpart of the sixties psychedelia I am virtually driving an Harley Davidson.

So, I am sorry again for being here without even ever driving a bike but - thank you HD, anyway.

No comments: