Monday, January 15, 2007

Submitted story: Little Harley Girl

by Cindy Holcomb

I have a ten-year-old daughter whom I consider to be one of Harley Davidson's biggest fans. She can hear one approaching long before anyone else in the family can - if we are outside, she will tell us (before we even hear the motorcycle) that one is coming - and sure enough, a few minutes later everyone else hears it.

No one in the family rides - so, her love for Harley's is all her own (although, personally, I love motorcycles).

How did it all begin? When she was two, we lived in an upstairs apartment. The man who lived below us owned a Harley Davidson. This is where it all began! She loved to be outside when he cranked the motorcyle - she would clap her hands and you could just see the sparkle in her eyes! On the weekends, this neighbor would come home sometimes at two or three o'clock in the morning - but, she heard him before he even turned onto our street. She would run into my room and shake me awake - "Mommy! Mommy! Mo-cycle!! Wet's go!"

Now, some Mom's would have sent her back to bed - but not me! Oh no! I would get up, take her onto the porch, and wait for the motorcycle to pull in - just so she could get a glimpse of it and dream of Harleys all night! Our neighbor always looked up and waved because he knew that we would be standing there waiting for him! He even had a special polishing cloth just for her - and when he cleaned his motorcycle, he let her help him shine the chrome!

To this day, she still has that same love of Harley Davidson's! Each year, Santa brings something "Harley Davidson" to put under the tree for her. And, she loves to talk to the people who ride the motorcycles that we see! One of the biggest thrills in her young life happened a couple of years ago - when our landlord gave her a ride around the block on his Harley! You could see her shaking with excitement!

We went into a store that sells Harley Davidson's - and she had to touch each motorcycle on the sales floor. The owner of the store thought she was adorable - he said you could see the sparkle in her eyes as she approached each motorcycle. Just yesterday, she and I were in the van and passed a restaraunt. She began to bounce in her seat, shouting - " Mommy! Mommy! Look!" I looked - and what do you think I saw? The entire parking lot was filled with Harley's!! She said - "Oh my God, Mom! That is like Hog Heaven!" I thought I might actually run off the road laughing at her.

So, of course, there was only one thing that I could do. I turned that van around and pulled into the parking lot so that she could get a close look. The riders were outside, so I stopped and asked if they were just getting there or leaving. One said that they were just getting there - and I explained that I had to pull in because she wanted to hear them crank the motorcycles. So, he called his buddy over - the owner of the motorcycle nearest us and asked if he would crank it up for her. Of course, he did! And, I think the pure, unadulterated excitement displayed by this little girl at the sound of that motorcycle revving up will stay with those riders for a while. They couldn't help but laugh when she began bouncing in her seat and clapping her hands - that special gleam in her eye! I am sure you all know exactly what gleam I am speaking of - the one each of you had when your love for Harley Davidson first began!

So, if you are ever driving through a small town in Northern Alabama - and you pass a white van carrying a little girl who is so excited she can barely stay in her seat, you know that you have met my little Harley girl - living in her little Harley world! Harley riders - meet one of your future sisters! Now, if we can only talk her out of painting her room black and orange!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely story - it filled me joy to read of such a happy little Girl.